Home » Study Abroad » Study in USA » USA Study Visa

USA Study Visa

USA is a favourite destination for students worldwide because of its world class education. A total of 582,984 international students are enrolled in various colleges and universities in the US. The United States welcomes foreign students to American language schools, high schools, universities and other institutions of higher education. Students on F-1 visa may accept employment in the U.S.

There are many many types of institutions, academic and social environments, entry requirements, degree programs, and subjects in which you can specialize.

In USA, F1 visas allow candidates to freely enter and leave the United States throughout the duration of their grant and in addition, dependents may enter the country with the principle applicant and remain for the entirety of their course of study. F1 visas allow candidates to work in the USA during their course so long as the work is based on campus. In some cases where unforeseen circumstances lead to hardship, off campus work may also be permitted.

Student visas for the USA are not intended as routes to permanent settlement but in most cases they will result in the applicant being in the country for a lengthy period. As a result, applicants immigrating to USA through all classes of student permit may bring their spouse and/or dependents with them.

In the case of F1 visa holders, dependents are granted a US F-2 visa, allowing them to remain in the country for the same duration as the principal applicant and to study if they wish, although employment is not permitted.

USA Education System

The USA education system has provided top notch resources and quality education for a variety of programs that students, educators and professionals can pursue for that extra edge.

U.S. higher education starts with undergraduate courses. You can earn either a two-year associate’s degree or a four-year bachelor’s degree. Students often earn an associate’s degree first, and then study two more years to gain a bachelor’s (or baccalaureate) degree. Usually, a bachelor’s degree will be awarded by a university, whereas an associate’s degree may be earned either at a community college or university.

Higher education in the United States refers to a variety of institutions of higher education in the United States. Strong research and funding have helped make American colleges and universities among the world’s most prestigious. The size of U.S. higher educational institutions varies greatly, too, from colleges that enroll fewer than 1,000 students to large universities that enroll more than 50,000 students. Applicants whose first language is not English, and who have not lived in a country where the first language is English for at least three years immediately before the start of their course, need to satisfy the University’s English language requirement.

For those students who take TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language), we look for 575/233/80* or above for courses in Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Geography, Geology, Mathematics and Physics and Astronomy, and 600/250/90* for all other courses. (*Scores for paper-based/computer-based/internet-based versions of TOEFL)

For those students who take IELTS (the British Council’s International English Language Testing System), we look for an overall score of 6.0 or above for courses in Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Geography, Geology, Mathematics and Physics and Astronomy, and 6.5 or above for all other courses.

Types of Qualification education centers in U.S.A

1. State College or University: These schools are supported and run by the State Government. Each U.S. state operates at least one state university, and several state colleges

2. Private College or Universities: These schools are privately owned/operated institutes. Tuition fee is usually higher than the state government schools. Normally these colleges and universities are smaller in size.

3. Community Colleges: Community colleges are local i.e. a city or county colleges. They also conduct evening classes for students who work during the day. Normally, community colleges welcome international students. But few countries do not recognize degrees from such community colleges.

4. Professional Schools: These are professional schools to train students in professional fields such as Art, Music, Engineering, Business, etc. They can be a part of a university or may be a separate school. Some offer graduate programs as well.

5. Institute of Technology: These are technical schools which conduct atleast four years of study in the science and technology fields. Some of them offer graduate programs too.

Structure in  education in U.S.A

While characterized by great diversity, American institutions of higher education are classified in general as follows:

1. Undergraduate study

Community and Junior Colleges: provide a two-year course beyond high school or secondary school. Courses are either “Terminal”, leading to employment, or “Academic”, preparing the student for transfer to a four-year college or university where he/she will complete his/her education. Graduates of junior colleges are usually awarded an Associate in Arts (A.A.) or Associate in Sciences (A.S.) degree. A Technical Institute: offers a two- or three-year course of training for a semi-professional occupation, such as that of a dental, engineering or medical technician.

2. Graduate Study

Graduate and Professional Schools: Provide post-university study leading to the Master’s or doctoral degree.

3. The Master’s Degree

The M.A., M.S., M.B.A. and other professional Master’s degrees require a minimum of one academic year. More often 18 months or two years are needed. Although requirements for advanced degrees vary far more than for the Bachelor’s degree, some number of course credits is always required. The Master’s degree will usually require a minimum of about 30 credits up to a maximum of 60 credits, and an average grade of “B.”

4. The Doctorate Degree

The Doctorate Degree covers many fields of specialization and requires a minimum of three to four years of study beyond the Bachelor’s degree; two to four years of study after the Master’s degree. Most graduate schools do not require that a student fulfill the specific requirements for the Master’s degree before becoming a candidate for the Doctor’s degree, although many students find it desirable to do so. Doctorates in Education, Science and Law are sometimes labeled Ed.D., Sc.D., Jur.D., but most doctorates are known as Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) degrees.

To obtain a Ph.D. degree or other doctorate the university generally requires that a student:

1. Earn a certain number of credits in a required distribution of courses.
2. Maintain an average grade of B.
3. Pass a qualifying comprehensive examination after completion of the required courses.
4. Pass examinations in one or more foreign languages.
5. Present and defend a thesis which is the result of original research.
6. Pass an oral examination.

5. Professional Training

Training for many professions may only be taken as postgraduate study. Thus a law degree takes three years after completion of a four-year Bachelor’s degree; medicine takes four years after a Bachelor’s degree, and social work two. In other professional fields such as dentistry, veterinary medicine and architecture, four years of general college work is usually required before admission to the four-year professional program.

Student Life in USA

Student Life in the USA will probably be different from what you expect Life is very fast and challaging for any international student. The USA has a lot to offer to international students, the most prestigious, top ranked education anywhere in the world, eclectric cities and beautiful natural parks, artistic, cultural, political and athletic events, and a very multicultural population.
Many universities offer their own evening activities, such as speakers or free films. Also check if the drama department presents plays on-campus, or if the music department holds concerts. You may want to participate in one of these activities as well.

Accommodation, food, public transport and educational costs are generally lower than the cities in the United Kingdom or rest of the world. Even if you can walk to your classes, exploring the community by foot might be impractical.

Many types of accommodation are available to international or local students in USA. There is something to suit everyone from inner-city apartments, houses in the suburbs, share accommodation, hotels, resort style living to luxurious villas on the golf course.

  • Most of colleges and universities arrange social events such as music festivals, dramas, visits to famous shops, markets, theatres and historic sites and beaches.
  • Many schools, colleges and universities have games rooms, computer rooms, sports centres, libraries and cafes and can arrange local sports facilities such as cricket, hockey, golf, tennis or horse-riding.
  • Every region has something special to offer – from sports such as swimming, surfing or rock climbing, top class football and rugby, regional foods, world class pop music and classical orchestras.
  • USA has some of the best resturants, hotels, food chains in the world, and you can find all types of food there with ease.

List of Colleges and Universities in USA (Click Here To See List)

Documents Checklist for USA Study Visa

Before you apply for USA study visa you make sure you have all your original documents ready. We recommend that you start putting your supporting documents together in advance and provide to any of our educational consultant on demand.

There is no fixed checklist for the documents needed for USA study visa, as each student’s circumstances are different. We recommend that you provide us all relevant documents which can provide as much credible evidence as they can for your individual visa application.

For Applicant

  • Original Passport along with copy
    (Valid for at least 6 months)
  • Original ID Card along with copy
    (FedEx Gerry’s requirement)
  • University Unconditional Offer of Admission
  • Four Photographs
    (With white background only and Size must be 45 mm * 35 mm)
  • All Original Educatinal & Non Educational Documents
    (Should be attested from IBCC and Hec – Embassy Requirement)
  • Original IELTS/TOEFL or relevant Score Report
  • Copy of all Educational Transcripts along with IELTS/TOEFL score report.
  • Proof of Educational Gap (if Applicable)
  • Proof of Experience Letter (if Applicable)
  • High Commission Fee

For Sponsor

  • Affidavit of Support Attested by Notary Public
    (Must be on the legal stamp paper at least Rs. 20)
  • Affidavit of Property Evaluation i.e Residential/Commercial/Agricultural
    (if available – must be on the property dealer letterhead )
  • Affidavit of Business/Employment Proof (Source of income)
    (Must be on the letterhead of Organization)
  • Bank Statements at least for 6 months (Minimum Balance Rs. 25,00,000)
    (Exception Subject to Coures and University)
  • Bank Confirmation Certificate
    (Sponsor Relationship with Bank)
  • Copy of Sponsor’s ID Card/Passport (If Applicable)
  • Proof of Relationship with the student
    (Form B or and other Relevant Evidence)
  • Copy of Tax Return at least for 2 Year
  • Copy of NTN Certificate (Individual Or Business)


  1. hey,i am 2nd year student just started.my uncles lives in USA (los angeles)i want to do my bachelors in engineering from U.S.A known and good university without wasting my year i am well in studies i may maintain my % upto 88 in inter

    please tell me path what i should do now what areas of education i must focus …….

  2. could I have a copy of this page?

  3. That are really helpful conducts for students those wish to apply in USA.

  4. Hy can someone tell about universities which do not require GRE in US…

  5. Dear Sir,

    Hi , I have done my B.A in economics,Sociology ,& i want to study further in the relevant field in any affordable university in America, but first i need foundation course to overcome my language problems,do i need TOEFL before i go to apply for foundation courses or not. and do they give scholarship and financial aid or any .


    from Abbas

  6. hi .. im leena imtiaz ..im doing B.A hons. in mass communication and i want to study in any university or school of chicago ..please help me

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *